4th/14th Holes at Carnoustie
14th and 4th Holes Carnoustie Carnoustie, as we know it today, had its first ten holes laid out by Allen Robertson in 1842 under the title of Carnoustie and Taymouth Golf Club. Twenty-five years later Tom Morris extended it to a full 18 holes. The first Open was played in 1931 and was won by an expatriate Scot, Tommy Armout. Henry Cotton won in 1937. The third winner of The Open at Carhoustie was acclaimed the greatest of them all, before or since, Ben Hogan in 1953. 1968 was won by Gary Player and the last victor was Tom Watson, who beat Jack Newton in an 18 hole play-off in 1975.